The Microsoft 365 Copilot: Availability, Prices & Features in an Overview
Microsoft Copilot is now available for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and the minimum license requirement of 300 users has been removed. This makes it easier for small businesses to access this AI-powered code generation technology.
Key points about Microsoft Copilot in brief
Since January 15, 2024, Copilot has been available for regular business and enterprise licenses from Microsoft, without a minimum number of licenses (Source: Microsoft). Copilot is available in three versions: Free, for $20 per month, and for $30 per month. The free version with internet access is available without restrictions or conditions here.
Content of this blog
What is Microsoft 365 Copilot?
The Microsoft 365 Copilot is a tool that utilizes artificial intelligence and is integrated into various Microsoft 365 applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams.
The Copilot utilizes extensive language models in conjunction with data from the Microsoft Graph to enhance user productivity and creativity.
There are two types of Copilot integration in Microsoft 365: the integrated version, which works in the background, and the new “Business Chat” experience. Users can directly communicate with the system in natural language, and it can automatically perform tasks.
In Microsoft’s screen visualizations, the Copilot is shown appearing within the apps as a chat area.
What does the Business Chat look like in Microsoft 365 Copilot?
The Business Chat appears in two different forms:
- As a dialog window that can be displayed on the right side of individual apps.
- As a standalone chat within Microsoft Teams, known as “Business Chat.”
Where in Microsoft 365 will Copilot be available?
Microsoft has integrated Copilot into all major Office programs:
- In Outlook, Copilot assists you in prioritizing your inbox by automatically highlighting the most important emails. You can also ask Copilot to draft a reply to an email, customizing it to your needs. This includes references to files as well as adjusting the length and style of the message according to your specifications.
- In Microsoft Teams, Copilot can summarize what was said in a meeting, who said it, what questions remain unanswered, and what decisions were made. If you missed the meeting, Copilot provides you with a complete summary, including a list of topics discussed, shared content, and any notes or tasks resulting from the meeting.
- In Microsoft Word, Copilot can create a first draft of a document, taking into account existing files such as OneNote notes or other Word documents. Additionally, you can give Copilot commands, such as changing the layout of a document to match another document or inserting images from other files.
- In Excel, Copilot can automate complex formulas and perform tasks with simple commands. Users can explore the full potential of Excel skills without having to spend hours learning how to use them. You can analyze large amounts of data in seconds, automatically create meaningful graphics, and apply clear formatting.
- Finally, in PowerPoint, Copilot can help create presentations by inserting relevant images and text. It ensures that slides are well-designed and ensures that the presentation is cohesive and coherent.
Can Copilot write emails in Outlook automatically?
Yes, Copilot in Outlook can assist you in composing emails by automatically generating drafts for replies or new messages. You can ask Copilot to draft a reply to an email, and it will create a text suggestion that you can then edit and customize. Copilot takes into account the content of the received email as well as your usual writing habits and can also reference files mentioned in the email.
What can Copilot do in Sharepoint?
On May 2, 2023, at the M365 Conference in Las Vegas, Copilot for SharePoint was announced.
This makes it possible to automatically create SharePoint sites and pages using natural language. Documents relevant to the content of the new page can also be included in the instruction (also known as “prompt”).
Once the page is created, SharePoint Copilot can be used to further work on optimizing the page.
How does Microsoft Copilot work?
The M365 Copilot consists of three main components:
- The language model called GPT (Generative Pretrained Transformer)
- Microsoft Search
- The Microsoft Graph API
The language model is responsible for processing language within the M365 Copilot. It “understands” inputs and formulates responses as well as text content.
Microsoft Search coordinates the collection of additional information and relevant context for each request from the M365 world.
The Microsoft Graph API serves as the access point to various other services in M365 that need to be consulted for the respective Copilot tasks.
When will Microsoft 365 Copilot be available?
Microsoft Copilot has been available since January 15, 2024, for both individual users and business customers, with no minimum number of licenses required.
Is Microsoft 365 Copilot free?
There is a free version of Copilot available, but it is accessible through copilot.microsoft.com. To use Copilot within the M365 apps, a Copilot Pro license is required, priced at $20 per user per month. To also use Copilot in MSFT Teams and access the Microsoft Graph, a Copilot for M365 license is required, priced at $30 per user per month.
For which Microsoft 365 licenses will Copilot be available?
Copilot Free and Copilot Pro are available for personal and family licensing. Copilot for Microsoft 365 is available for common business and enterprise licensing.
Will Microsoft Copilot replace jobs and people?
Microsoft has made it clear that Copilot is not intended to replace jobs with artificial intelligence. Instead, it is meant to help accomplish repetitive tasks more efficiently. Therefore, the service is named Copilot rather than Autopilot.
How can one evaluate Microsoft 365 Copilot?
From our perspective, Copilot has the potential to revolutionize office and knowledge work at the desktop workplace. Microsoft 365 is equipped with an intelligent assistant capable of completing complex and time-consuming tasks within seconds, such as data processing in Excel. This enables a significant increase in productivity and efficiency.